IMPORTANT UPDATE: Many thanks to all those who played, streamed and donated. We will be awarding prizes soon as well as writing a report on the event. In the meantime, any donations made from now are welcome but will no longer confer eligibility for prizes. The cut-off point was reached midnight on Sunday evening.
Please note a fuller version of the following information about Checkmate Covid-19 with more details on rules and prizes can be downloaded in this word document Prizes – how they work and FAQ.
What is it?
A 24-hour chess marathon of 5 minute a side games. All funds raised go to the British Red Cross and their work fighting the effects of the coronavirus.
It starts at 5pm (UK time) on Saturday 23rd May.
Who can play?
Anyone who is a member of chess.com and the Club https://www.chess.com/club/english-chess-federation is welcome to play. The Club is open to all (you do not need to be a member of the ECF). Please join. The more players the merrier. You can play as many or as few games as you like over the course of the 24 hours.
You do not have to donate (although it would be very much appreciated). Note: to win one of the prizes you need to have donated at least £5. The ‘physical’ prizes, for example, signed books, are only open to those with UK addresses.
How do I join?
Once you are a member of the ECF Open group on Chess.com mentioned above, please register at https://britchess.wufoo.com/forms/ecf-checkmate-covid19-4254/. One hour before the tournament starts you will be able to join at https://www.chess.com/live#r=194078
How can I donate?
Everyone can donate at https://tiltify.com/+chess-v-covid-19/checkmate-covid19. Please note that if you are playing in the tournament and donating we prefer that you donate via the registration form mentioned above so that we can easily match your chess.com username so that you are eligible for prizes.
Thank you to … (in no particular order)
Please note this is not a full list and is subject to updates!
- Chess.com who are donating $500 to the British Red Cross plus $500 in membership prizes (5 x 1 year diamond)
- Chessable who are donating 10 x year-long PRO memberships (worth about £60 each)
- GM Mickey Adams for his support and agreeing to play a rapid game against one of the prize winners
- Leicester City FC for a signed 2019/20 shirt
- GM Nick Pert and gmchess.co.uk for 4 small group junior training sessions – two over 100 ECF and two below
- Stephen Fry for a signed book
- Loyd Grossman CBE for his support and for playing
- GM Matthew Sadler for playing, commentating, and 2 signed copies of Game Changer
- GM Gawain Jones for playing, streaming, and a signed copy of Starting Out: Grand Prix Attack and of How to Beat the Sicilian Defence
- GM Keith Arkell for a signed copy of Arkell’s Odyssey
- GM Simon Williams for playing and streaming
- IM Thomas Rendle for playing and streaming
- IM Dagne Ciuksyte for streaming and a 1-hour online chess lesson for a junior
- WFM Maria Emelianova for streaming and donating merchandise
- ChesspatzerUK (Jacques Tivillier) for playing and streaming
- ChessPitPod (Phil Makepeace) for playing and streaming and 2-hour Skype coaching session (for under 1800 FIDE)
- GM Daniel King for a signed copy of Sultan Khan and a copy of his new DVD on the King’s Gambit
- IM Jovanka Houska for a signed copy of The Mating Game
- David Llada for a signed copy of The Thinkers
- Carl Portman for a signed copy of Chess Behind Bars
- Elk & Ruby Publishing House – a selection of 20 books
- Ben Graff for 2 signed copies of The Greenbecker Gambit
- IM Lorin D’Costa for playing a simul free to various donors
- GingerGM – online courses by GM David Howell, GM Danny Gormally, and IM Lawrence Trent
- DecodeChess – 10 Premium memberships
- CHESS magazine for donating a year’s subscription
- The ECF as well as making a donation of £300 direct to the British Red Cross will also be offering a year’s gold membership as a prize